Health Benefits of Ice Cream
Americans love ice cream. In fact, the average person eats 23.2 quarts of ice cream and other frozen dairy products each year but what are the benefits of ice cream?
Portland, St. Louis and Seattle residents eat the most ice cream per capita. Yet, our love of a good Ben and Jerry’s tub doesn’t come from its purported “health benefits of ice cream”, but rather, simply because we love the taste.
health benefits of ice cream
For this reason, “healthier” versions of low-fat ice cream haven’t done as well in stores. Yet, scientists at the University of Missouri-Columbia are out to change that. They understand full well that ice cream is relatively good for us already, but this dreamy delight has so much more potential. These scientists are tinkering with ice cream – not to remove sugar or fat, but to add enough nutritional value that ice cream will be classified a “multifunctional” food. The advantages of ice cream they’re proposing will include: Antioxidants, Dietary Fiber, Probiotics and Prebiotics. This new breed of ice cream can play a role in preventing cancer, aid in digestion, encourage good bacteria in gut flora, bolster the immune system, lower cholesterol and lose weight.
Until this “super ice cream” hits the shelves, we’ll just have to settle for the current health benefits of ice cream…
- Bone-strengthening Calcium (10% daily recommended value in ½ cup)
- Vitamins D, A, B12 and K
- Protein (10% daily recommended value in ½ cup)
- Low Glycemic Index (meaning that there is less chance you’ll have blood sugar spikes and drops associated with most carbohydrates.)
As with anything, there are reasons to be cautious about your ice cream consumption…
- First of all, ice cream has a good deal of bad saturated fat, calories and cholesterol. For example, a chocolate-dipped waffle cone with one scoop of Chunky Monkey from Ben & Jerry’s contains 820 calories and 26 grams of saturated fat.
- Secondly, you might suffer a dreaded ice cream headache if you eat it too fast. This painful reaction is caused by a sudden dilation of blood vessels in the head triggered by the extreme cold hitting roof of your mouth’s sensitive nerve center.
- Thirdly, you might suffer an even more dreadful headache if you love ice cream so much you click on the YouTube video for “Ice Cream Paint Job.”
- Lastly, be aware that the irrational and overwhelming desire for ice cream has been known to drive people to do crazy things – like attend an ice cream eating contest in the backyard of a sex predator.
- Although if you do it right If you find healthy ingredients you can actually use the health benefits of ice creamto health you recover after and injury.
|Article: Jennn FusionTwitter: @jennnfusion|
101 Healthy Vegan Desserts (Cakes, Cookies, Muffines & Ice cream Vegan Recipes) (Quick & Easy vegan recipes)
The most amazing collections of delicious vegan desserts for a healthy lifestyle!101 original, easy and delicious healthy vegan recipes from all over the world (Cakes, Muffins, Cookies and Ice creams).After the dizzying success of the three previous bestsellers, Daniel Nadav’s third cookbook is mainly for people who are crazy about desserts and, on the other hand, want to maintain a healthy and ...
Ice Cream Recipes: 50 Low Fat Ice Cream Recipes Made With Delicious Summer Fruits (Homemade Delight)
Cloud9 Ebooks Presents:50 Low Fat Ice Cream Recipes Made With Delicious Summer Fruits This Ice Cream Recipe Book has 40 Delicious Recipes. To help you on your journey we have included another 10 bonus recipes that are recognized as being the most popular worldwide.About Our CompanyWe are a professional publishing company who only publish non-fiction books. We believe in helping others learning som...
The Doctor's Ice Cream: 20 Healthy, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Low-Fat, All Natural, Ice Cream Recipes (Moan Inducing Raw Vegan Recipes)
Just Imagine Indulging Yourself On Exotic Ice Cream That Taste Like Sinful Delights and Can Be Prepared in Minutes..If you are on a diet or a weight loss program and trying to avoid junk or unhealthy food, yet you still get cravings for something special like a rich, flavorful ice cream, then this book is a godsend for you. With the recipes in this book you'll be able to make the tastiest, most f...
BSN SYNTHA-6 Protein Powder - Vanilla Ice Cream, 5.0 lb (48 Servings)
SYNTHA-6 is an ultra-premium lean muscle protein powder, and the best-tasting protein supplement on the market. Its formula features multiple quality proteins, each of which provides a unique and complementary profile of amino acids and absorption rates, resulting in a nutritious and multi-functional protein supplement. As any athlete knows, high-quality protein is essential for building and maint...
Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard, Vanilla Ice Cream, 5 Pound
100 Whey Gold Standard Protein - Vanilla Ice Cream by Optimum Nutrition 5 lbs Powder Optimum Nutrition's 100 Whey Protein contains 22 grams of protein only 2-3 grams of carbohydrates 1.5 grams of fat and minimal lactose....