Health Benefits of Ice Cream
Americans love ice cream. In fact, the average person eats 23.2 quarts of ice cream and other frozen dairy products each year but what are the benefits of ice cream?
Portland, St. Louis and Seattle residents eat the most ice cream per capita. Yet, our love of a good Ben and Jerry’s tub doesn’t come from its purported “health benefits of ice cream”, but rather, simply because we love the taste.
health benefits of ice cream
For this reason, “healthier” versions of low-fat ice cream haven’t done as well in stores. Yet, scientists at the University of Missouri-Columbia are out to change that. They understand full well that ice cream is relatively good for us already, but this dreamy delight has so much more potential. These scientists are tinkering with ice cream – not to remove sugar or fat, but to add enough nutritional value that ice cream will be classified a “multifunctional” food. The advantages of ice cream they’re proposing will include: Antioxidants, Dietary Fiber, Probiotics and Prebiotics. This new breed of ice cream can play a role in preventing cancer, aid in digestion, encourage good bacteria in gut flora, bolster the immune system, lower cholesterol and lose weight.
Until this “super ice cream” hits the shelves, we’ll just have to settle for the current health benefits of ice cream…
- Bone-strengthening Calcium (10% daily recommended value in ½ cup)
- Vitamins D, A, B12 and K
- Protein (10% daily recommended value in ½ cup)
- Low Glycemic Index (meaning that there is less chance you’ll have blood sugar spikes and drops associated with most carbohydrates.)
As with anything, there are reasons to be cautious about your ice cream consumption…
- First of all, ice cream has a good deal of bad saturated fat, calories and cholesterol. For example, a chocolate-dipped waffle cone with one scoop of Chunky Monkey from Ben & Jerry’s contains 820 calories and 26 grams of saturated fat.
- Secondly, you might suffer a dreaded ice cream headache if you eat it too fast. This painful reaction is caused by a sudden dilation of blood vessels in the head triggered by the extreme cold hitting roof of your mouth’s sensitive nerve center.
- Thirdly, you might suffer an even more dreadful headache if you love ice cream so much you click on the YouTube video for “Ice Cream Paint Job.”
- Lastly, be aware that the irrational and overwhelming desire for ice cream has been known to drive people to do crazy things – like attend an ice cream eating contest in the backyard of a sex predator.
- Although if you do it right If you find healthy ingredients you can actually use the health benefits of ice creamto health you recover after and injury.
|Article: Jennn FusionTwitter: @jennnfusion|
The Doctor's Ice Cream: 20 Healthy, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Low-Fat, All Natural, Ice Cream Recipes (Moan Inducing Raw Vegan Recipes Book 4)
Just Imagine Indulging Yourself On Exotic Ice Cream That Taste Like Sinful Delights and Can Be Prepared in Minutes..If you are on a diet or a weight loss program and trying to avoid junk or unhealthy food, yet you still get cravings for something special like a rich, flavorful ice cream, then this book is a godsend for you. With the recipes in this book you'll be able to make the tastiest, most f...
Eat Smarter! Ice Creams: 30 fat-burning, health-boosting, delicious frozen treats
***THIS IS THE SECOND EDITION OF THE FORMERLY TITLED "Eat Dessert First! Ice Creams*** Developed around the research by Jonathan Bailor for those living a SANE lifestyle, this cookbook is crammed with scrumptious ice cream recipes for 30 fat-burning, health-boosting, delicious frozen treats that will help in the quest for improved health and increased fat-loss goals. All recipes are free of sugar,...
I Can't Believe It's Not Ice Cream!: 93 most delicious, fast, easy-to-make, smooth, frozen desserts with whole fruit, nuts and seeds, and no added cream ... Healthiest Frozen Desserts Series Book 1)
This is the healthiest ice-cream recipe book that you will ever find! It takes only 20 seconds to blend the ingredients into a perfect, silky, smooth, sweet and very healthy dessert. The recipes in this book have been designed to be EXTREMELY QUICK and EASY to prepare from easily found ingredients. There are no complicated decorations or arrangements, just a method that will allow you to make t...