Home » Your Digital Life
What Happens In A Federal Government Shut Down
The U.S. Federal Government has shut down a few times over the last 30 years and with another looming government shutdown approaching many people want to know what will happen if the United States Government is shutdown.
- The Social Security Administration would continue to provide benefits for current recipients.
- Medicare would continue to pay out benefits.
- The Internal Revenue Service would continue to process electronically filed returns, provide refunds, and take payments, however they would not collect paper filings or conduct audits.
- The Small Business Administration would not issue small business loans.
- The National Parks would close, as would the Smithsonian Institution.
- The Veterans Administration would remain open because it’s on a multi-year appropriations schedule.
- Department of Defense employees required to stay on the job would continue to be paid.