There are a lot of theories and misinformation flying around about the pros and cons about fasting (skipping your meals for a day or for some hours to “detox”).
We have broken the topic down for you, so you can make the best decision for your lifestyle!
- You will get a fresh flow of vitamins and minerals, as well as detox from toxins in the body.
- Rapid weight loss
- Increase in energy – as your body can take a break from taking care of digestive system and take a look at your metabolism and immune system.
- Heal quicker- As your body gets into a hyped up mode whilst you fast, it will help you heal your wounds quicker and sometimes get over a cold quickly! The concept is simple: your body thinks you can’t find food, this is why it is giving you a boost of energy – so you can go out and search for a meal! This process goes back to millions of years of evolution, when our ancestors needed to hunt instead of shop for their meals!
- Weight gain – some people can respond differently to fasting, and many people report that their weight never changes during the process. Sometimes, your body will actually slow your metabolism to conserve your energy.
- Sickness –without a steady source or vitamins, minerals, healthy fats and sugars, fasting can actually hurt your immune system and make you more susceptible to sickness
- Low energy.
It is a controversial debate, but the most important thing to keep in mind is that if you want to try fasting consult a medical professional for advice, monitor its effects on your body and always do things in moderation!